Search

First Post. Yay.

Every so often I'm going to drop some BTS in here so people can get a sense of how I work, and what goes on during a shoot. Whether it's a portrait session or a product shoot, I'm hoping this will give a little insight. The very first product I photographed with any kind of proper setup was this Disaronno bottle. It's actually a composite of 5 shots because I only had one strobe light at the time. Looking back on it now, part of me thinks it looks ok. The other part of me thinks it looks like a steaming pile of shit. Even if it looked amazing I'd probably still judge it harshly, which you should always do. I'm constantly bothered by imperfections and the inability to recognize issues in a lighting setup. There is a blatant mistake in this image in the 'R' on the cap of the bottle that I didn't notice right away. It's the only thing I see now when I look at this image. Only time and practice will help fix that...

Fast forward a week or so and I got out the ol' strobe light again and this time tried with a clear liquor bottle. This Lvov shot was a lot harder to create because of the detailing on the bottle and my sheer inexperience. As you can see from the setup, it's a small little area in my foyer. I have a small snack tray with a flat glossy piece of acrylic for the base. Have to get that nice downward reflection on a bottle. Mounted behind it is another thin piece of white acrylic...

Being that I only had the single strobe, I needed to get my shot in a single position and then readjust the light. At the time I only had an octabox. I primarily use that for portraits but it works great for products too. However I wanted to create a strip box with my light. I gaffed too piece of black cardboard down the sides of the light for the effect. That was able to give me a nice thin strip of light for the side shots of the bottle. It's effect is especially noticeable on the neck and cap of the bottle. Lastly I placed a light with a grid behind the white acrylic so I could pop a nice glow behind the bottle...


On top of that, I fitted the light with a red gel for a few shots. For the composite I used images of the bottle lit without the red and then used the red gelled background image. And for shits and giggles I let some of the red background image come through on certain parts of the bottle. It wasn't part of my initial plan but there was just something about it I liked. Happy accidents. For obvious reason I was more pleased with this image then the Disaronno one but there are still things that annoy me about it...

Come back soon where I will talk more about my little foyer photoshoots and how I pull my hair out trying to make the images in my brain come to life. Byeeeee.

19 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All